What are the main benefits of credit cards?
Credit cards offer a tremendous number of benefits. Let's just recap the main ones –
- Having a ready-to-use, interest-free loan in your pocket!
- The convenience of cashless transactions
- Acceptability across millions of merchant establishments around the world, both offline and online.
Which credit card benefit do users tend to ignore?
Credit cards offer yet another "hidden" benefit that users tend to miss – offers and promotions.
Banks and other credit card issuers don't just stop at issuing credit cards with an enviable range of features. They are in fact working hard to make credit cards even more attractive and enticing to use! They do this through promotions and offers.
What are some examples of promotions and offers on credit cards in Bahrain?
The best way to explain the concept of "promotions and offers" on credit cards is to look at some real-world examples:
- The HSBC Advance Credit Card offers the HSBC Entertainer mobile app which can be downloaded freely; the app contains over 8,000 "Buy 1 Get 1 Free" offers across 15 countries and territories.
- Ahli United Bank's
Credit Card offers including discounts on hotel stays throughout the world with Hotels.com, discounted chauffeur services across the Middle East with Careem and discounts on the latest boutique fashion purchases via European ecommerce platform Farfetch.com.
- Citibank Bahrain offers discounted membership at Reps Fitness Studio and Kietix Health Club, discounts at Oasis and Ibn Rushd Clinics 2 and a range of offers when you visit Adhari Park with your children in tow.
- While these are promotions offered by credit card issuers, we must not forget credit card brands like MasterCard and Visa who are also busy putting together exclusive offers for their credit cardholders.
What are the best credit card offers for me?
Choosing a credit card going by current offers and promotions may not be the best credit card move you make. These offers are transient and may soon get replaced by other offers that may not be to your liking.
The best way to go about getting a credit card is by selecting one that rewards your biggest spend categories.
A travel card if you are frequently jetting off overseas, a Sharia compliant credit card if you are particular about usage, a shopping or an entertainment or an online credit card if you are big on any of those. Your card issuer will usually "top up" such cards with category-related promos and offers.